It is the start of a new year and what better way to kick off 2024 than by having clear goals and objectives?
Let’s make use of this time as an opportunity to think about how you can develop and improve by setting some milestones and targets for yourself. As any successful manager and organisation will know that there is always room for development and growth. Therefore, setting goals is crucial for success. Having clear well-defined goals can help you achieve your objectives.
When it comes to setting goals, a good place to start is the SMART system. All goals should be:
By following these steps, you can put a simple goal-setting process in place and, in turn, boost engagement. You will also be able to align strategy and improve performance.
The SMART model
- Specific – When setting goals, be specific about what you want to be accomplished. The more specific a goal is, the better your chances of success are.
- Measurable – Making sure a goal is measurable makes it more tangible. If it’s something that will take several months to complete, consider breaking the goal into milestones as a way to track progress.
- Attainable – Asking whether a goal is possible is crucial to the process. An attainable goal should stretch abilities but still remain possible.
- Relevant – Ensuring goals are relevant is especially important when linking them to the overall organisational or self-reflection objective.
- Time-bound – Every goal needs to have a deadline, so you have a target date to focus on and something to work towards. If a goal lacks realistic timing, chances are it’s not going to succeed.
Whether you’re embarking on a new job role or wanting to be more focused on the job you are in, a new year is a great opportunity to think about what you want to achieve. You can also take this time to reflect on the steps to be taken to do this. It’s about understanding what the expected result will be, the time frame that needs to be devoted to reaching the end point, and the route for reaching the goal.
We have expert coaches who can help you identify your personal and business related goals. These important goals can then be worked on during coaching sessions, helping you to achieve them.
If you would be interested in our coaching sessions, please Contact Us and a member of our team will be in touch.